Dental sedation for nervous patients
We know, that visiting a dentist can be an unpleasant experience for some patients and can cause anxiety. Many people are genuinely frightened when visiting a dentist or do not visit the clinic at all, due to their fears. If you’re one of the nervous patients who are worried about having your treatment, you should know that here at Wisdom Dental in Acton, our experienced and sympathetic team specialises in treating nervous patients and also offers sedation to help most frightened patients take away their anxiety.
WHAT IS SEDATION
Dental sedation, also known as ‘sleep dentistry’, uses medication to help patients feel more relaxed during their dental treatments. The type of sedation used will depend on the severity of patient’s fear. There are different types of dental sedation:
- Minimal sedation – patients are awake, but relaxed.
- Moderate sedation (formerly called “conscious sedation”) – patients may slur words when speaking and will not remember much of the procedure.
- Deep sedation – patients are on the edge of consciousness, but can still be awakened.
- General anesthesia – you are completely unconscious.
Although sedation is most commonly used for patients with a strong phobia of visiting the dentist, it can also be used and is appropriate for patients who:
- Have a low threshold of pain
- Have extremely sensitive teeth
- Need a large amount of dental work completed
How do I enquire about sedation during my treatment?
We treat nervous patients every day and truly understand just how frightening the thought of visiting a dentist can be for some people. From the moment you walk in our dental clinic in Acton, we will do everything we can to make you feel at ease.
If you’d still however like to be sedated during your treatment, speak to a member of our team and we will be more than happy to help you.
You can contact us by calling +44 20 8993 2601 or sending us an email on email@example.com. Alternatively, simply use one of the contact forms available on our website and we will contact you regarding the sedation treatment as soon as possible.